Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Can't Wait for Inspiration

“You can’t wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.” — Jack London

I love that quote. That's what I'm doing these days...going after that inspiration. And sometimes I seriously feel like the inspiration is fighting back. Drafting a novel can be pretty emotionally exhausting. You're creating a world from scratch, and you're conjuring up all these emotions along with the characters, and you're grinding out a lot of things that feel mundane at the moment (but will work well once everything has been edited and polished). It can be intense work, and some days I'm utterly spent when I finish working. Right now I'm staying motivated by rewarding myself with episodes of my favorite TV shows when I finish my word count for the day. It's keeping me on schedule.

On a more cheerful note, I'm about 1/3 of the way through the first draft of Aeralis. Woohoo! I'm still hoping for a late July/early August release date, but I can't promise that. These things have a way of taking more time than I expect. But hopefully!

Teaser: Earlier today I finished writing a sad scene (well, it made me sad) between Lia and a male character who will remain unnamed. You'll have to speculate who it is, and what "sad scene" means, because it could mean just about ANYTHING. Muhahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...